All recipes are for 2 servings unless noted. Oil is canola oil and salt is kosher salt.

2013-04-08

Tom cooks 11. Sakana to yasai, kinoko no hoiruyaki, miso-fumi (grilled fish, vegetables and mushrooms in foil, miso flavor)

Tom doesn't really measure ingredients. That’s fine, as long as his eyeballing method is close to what it should be.
But a big chunk of red miso in a small prep bowl was obviously too much when only 2 tsp was needed.
“You said 2 tbsp!” Tom said.

Nope. Look at the recipe again, it says 2 tsp. I think I should ask him to prepare a red miso soup one day … then he would have a better sense of balance between the amount and the taste.
I was glad that I came down to the kitchen to check on him.

When Tom tackles green onions with the intention to slice them thinly, only the first few centimeters (1 inch max.) become relatively thin. The rest is something I would call “cuts.” This is becoming the norm whenever Tom cooks. I am afraid that one day I might classify his fat cuts as thin slices … scary thought.

Assembly was supposed to be a piece of cake, and it was, relatively, except that the foil sheet was too small. Stumbling upon an unexpected problem like this can be annoying, but Tom managed to make packets by piling up vegetables and mushrooms on the fish and using additional foil.

The finished dish was tasty.
Something, however, was quite different. 
My idea of this dish is having fish, vegetables and mushrooms next to each other, so that you can still enjoy the individual flavors of ingredients.

The vegetables and mushrooms cut in a relatively small size on top of fish were mingled together and had a blended taste. It reminded me of something, but I wasn’t quite sure what.

Next morning, Tom made the same dish with slightly different ingredients, including salmon.
The taste clicked in my head. This is sake no chanchanyaki (salmon and vegetable saute with miso sauce), which I had an inkling of the night before.

Ingredient size, how ingredients are cut and how they are arranged in packets make a difference in the final dish.
Next time, I will ask Tom to arrange fish, vegetables and mushrooms side by side to see if he can tell the difference in flavor and texture.
The challenge would be if he actually follows my words, “side by side.” He might tilt his head 90 degrees and call the vertical piles in front of him horizontal.

Recipe for Tom: Sakana to yasai, kinoko no hoiruyaki, miso-fumi (grilled fish, vegetables and mushrooms in foil, miso flavor)

No comments: